Adobe Acrobat Reader is free, and freely distributable, software that lets you view and print Portable Document Format (PDF) files.
Acrobat Reader also lets you fill in and submit PDF forms online.
Adobe Portable Document Format
Invented by Adobe Systems and perfected over 15 years, Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) lets you capture and view robust information — from any application, on any computer system — and share it with anyone around the world.
Reasons to upgrade to Adobe Reader 8:
Enjoy a new interface, new tools, and more options
View information more precisely and efficiently with the redesigned, easier to use Adobe® Reader® 8 interface. Choose the reading mode to fit more content on the screen or the two-up mode to view page spreads without excess space in the middle. Zoom in, pan over, or leverage the loupe feature in Reader 8 to take a closer look.
Launch an online, real-time meeting in seconds
Instantly collaborate with virtually anyone, anywhere, at any time. Use the Start Meeting button in Reader 8 to access Adobe Acrobat® Connect™ software and deliver online training and support or communicate with remote audiences in real time. Accelerate approvals with new Reader 8 features that include shared document reviews, a streamlined review tracker, and a simple RSS reader.
Realize more secure document workflows
Better protect documents, forms, and drawings by leveraging Adobe LiveCycle® Policy Server and the new Adobe Online Services Document Center. For the first time, use Reader 8 to digitally sign Adobe PDF documents, allowing recipients to more confidently view and verify the authenticity of PDF files.
Save valuable time working with Adobe PDF files
View, print, search, sign, and collaborate on PDF files. Leverage new timesaving markup and review tools in Reader 8, as well as customizable toolbars and combined search and find.
Work with 2D GPU acceleration
Work faster with Reader 8 using the most popular graphics processing units (GPUs), which enhance scrolling and zooming for the rendering of 2D graphics.
Use improved accessibility features
Reader 8 helps you meet the accessibility requirements mandated by Section 508 of the amended U.S. Rehabilitation Act. Try the improved read out loud capabilities in Reader 8 or change the reading order of pages or columns after PDF files are tagged to accommodate preferences.
Save trees and time
For large volumes of information, such as technical manuals, use Reader 8 to condense any type of PDF file into a single booklet for printing. Print only the desired pages on two sides of paper or in a smaller type size to save time and natural resources.
Access new learning resources
Immediately access help and product information. Use the new Beyond Adobe Reader start center in Reader 8 to review information, on demand, about how to use Adobe Reader more effectively. Also view regularly updated information about other Adobe products and services.
Lower your total cost of ownership
Quickly manage and control Reader 8 deployments using the Adobe Customization Wizard 8, IBM Tivoli, Microsoft Systems Management Server, Windows Group Policy Objects, or Active Directory. Centrally host Reader 8 using Citrix Metaframe Presentation Server or Microsoft Windows Terminal Server.
Get expanded platform support
Deliver a reliable experience across computing platforms. Reader 8 will support Microsoft® Windows Vista™*; Windows® 2000 with Service Pack 4; Windows XP Professional, Home Edition, and Tablet PC Edition; Mac OS X v.10.4.3; Solaris™ 9 and 10; AIX® 5.3; HP-UX 11i v1 and v2; Debian and LSB 3.1 Red Hat®; SUSE™, Turbolinux; and Asianux.
Here are some key features of “Adobe Portable Document Format”:
· Open format — De facto standard for more secure, dependable electronic information exchange — recognized by industries and governments around the world. Compliant with industry standards including PDF/A, PDF/X, and PDF/E.
· Multiplatform — Viewable and printable on any platform — Macintosh, Microsoft® Windows, UNIX, and many mobile platforms.
· Extensible — More than 1,800 vendors worldwide offer PDF-based solutions including creation, plug-in, consulting, training, and support tools.
· Trusted and reliable — More than 200 million PDF documents on the web today serve as evidence of the number of organizations that rely on Adobe PDF to capture information.
· Maintain information integrity — Adobe PDF files look exactly like original documents and preserve source file information — text, drawings, 3D, full-color graphics, photos, and even business logic — regardless of the application used to create them.
· Keep information secure — Digitally sign or password-protect Adobe PDF documents created with Adobe Acrobat® 7.0 or Adobe LiveCycle™ software.
· Searchable — Leverage full-text search features to locate words, bookmarks, and data fields in documents.
· Accessible — Adobe PDF documents work with assistive technology to help make information accessible to people with disabilities.
· Intel® Pentium III or equivalent processor
· Windows XP Professional, Home Edition, or Tablet PC Edition with Service Pack 2; Microsoft Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4; Windows 2003 Server; or Windows Vista
· 128MB of RAM (256MB recommended for complex forms or large documents)
· 110MB of available hard-disk space
· Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or 7.0, Firefox 1.5 or 2.0, Mozilla 1.7, AOL 9
Download (20 MB)